Different kinds of transformation
Rafael started an interesting discussion about the mutual interest of various kinds of model transformations:
In a previous post I proposed a first classification of transformations:
- Code to Model Transformations (C2M)
- Model to Model Transformations (M2M)
- Model to Code Transformations (M2C)
Here I would also like to introduce another classification, quite orthogonal to the previous one and however very important:
- Transformations executed at software development/production time
- Transformations executed at software maintenance/modernization time
- Transformations executed at software operation/execution time
These three kinds of transformations have very different properties.
MDSD (Model Driven Software Development) is a special case of MDE (Model Driven Engineering) where the transformations executed are mainly M2C transformations executed at software/development time.